Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Kilkenny, Cashel & Killarney

Hey everyone! I wrote the previous post last night, but didn't have access to the internet. But, faithful to my word, we're trying to keep in touch. Today has been quite the day, and we were extremely glad to finally get to the B&B this evening (it's 6:15 now). The minute I found out we had wireless internet, I think I spent 5 minutes praying!!! It's amazing how strange it is to be without a cell phone, computer, internet, or even my GPS system, which I really wish worked in Ireland (more about that later...).

This morning we had breakfast at the Carriglea B&B in Kilkenny. Our host Josephine and her husband Tom are extremely friendly. Her breakfast was delicious!!! I had a mushroom omelette with shaved parmesan on top. I also had a bit of yogurt and fresh fruit. Nic had yogurt, pancakes and bacon. She quickly learned that pancakes and bacon are not what we Americans consider pancakes and bacon to be. Thankfully omelettes translate in every language! Her pancakes tasted more like french toast, with an egg-like coating. The bacon is more like slice of ham. Now, that sounds great, right? Well, just the toast impressed Nicole. It was served on a toast rack (google image it if you don't know what one is). Nic was so in love that she almost purchased a toast rack today at the store. What a character, this one! :)

After that, we headed out of town and out to Cashel, about a one hour drive. The drive wasn't terrible, and we only got lost a bit, so we're improving. Thankfully, some friendly local helped us get back on course. We arrive in Cashel around noon and began touring the Rock of Cashel. It was absolutely breathtaking!!! It's basically a ruined Cathedral. There's a small chapel that contains the only surviving frescos in Ireland. We walked in and ended up with a tour group of an older women's choir. A little awkward, but we hung towards the back and listened to their tour guide. At the end, they randomly bust out singing, but then we realized it was a hymn. It was beautiful. They sang in harmony, and it echoed throughout the stone walls of the chapel. It added a very mystical and majestic quality to the whole experience. We also got to see the original St. Patrick's Cross. We have lots of pictures of this. Still attempting to figure out how to get them on here, but I really don't want to spend that much time on the computer when I'm only in Ireland for a limited time.

After Cashel, we began the long ride to Killarney. According to our directions, it was at least 2.5 hours. We managed to get 3/4 of the way there without getting lost. Then, and I admit this one, I had copied the wrong directions from the website to the B&B. It wasn't terrible, as we got to drive around the mountains and part of Killarney National Park, and found our way eventually. This B&B is nice, and about a 10 minute walk from the center of town. We're about to head out for the evening and grab something to eat, but obviously thought we would take advantage of the internet access! We'll probably post again tonight or tomorrow morning, since we're not sure about the internet at the B&B tomorrow. Anyway, I'm pretty sure your eyes are getting tired, so we'll let you go!

- Beth & Nicole

No comments: